Saturday, December 31, 2011

365 Day 365 -- part 4

tail it is!

Wow. NOW I'm done for the night...and the year!



I built the tail out of swimming pool floaty bopper things and tape and aluminum foil and more tape and little wedges of bopper material in the spaces where the tail makes curves.

















The very end of the tail is one of Twink's play balls that he doesn't really care for...a cat version of a tennis ball. I cut it at about a third/two thirds.






I couldn't take photos while I was making the tail and attaching it because I had to work super fast. Everything was drying out quickly tonight...and I was not using gloves. Actually I didn't use gloves at all today because the new size medium gloves have fingertips that are still just a little too long for detail work, or for when I have to move quickly.

Okay. So I assembled the parts of the tail, bent it where it was supposed to go around the body of the cat-creature and covered it with 2 1/2 layers of plaster cloth then I (one-handedly) held the tail and applied plaster cloth triangles around the edge to get it to hold on. Man. I must say, that wasn't easy...not bitching, not bragging...just sayin'.

I thought it was going to still be wobbly enough to conform to the shape of the cat-creature's body -- that would have made my job quite a bit better...but nooooooo. As you can see in the photos below, the tail is mostly not attached to the body. I crammed wads of plaster cloth triangles into the thinnest gaps between the tail and the body and then carefully added triangles over and under the tail to attach it to the body. I think it will be okay. It will be quite a challenge moving it again. LOL -- that is why the photos were taken with the cat-creature up on the drying rack.






Not exactly what I had in mind but I am very pleased with the results...especially working alone. I intended to have the tail be rounded on top but laying flat against the body of the cat-creature for the entire length of the tail.





facing left















back view














far back and side angle
















kind of close up view








I have a few ideas for the tail. I have a few for the decorating of the lower body. I am still not positive of the color of the cat-creature. This is stuff I should work on in my sketchbook I guess.

Wow -- this week really flew by blog-wise. I can't believe the year is over.

I will start fresh again tomorrow -- HAPPY NEW YEAR!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...