Monday, December 5, 2011

365 Day 339

experimental paper/cardboard clothes for an experimental plaster cloth dog

Whoa -- that was waaaaaaaaaay too much like math and geometry...owwwww...headache.
(For real.)


On Friday at the Northville Art House there was a great bag of Trader Joe's paper bags (with handles) that was going to be recycled. I asked if I could take it home. I was just planning on using them as bags around the house. Tonight they are becoming "clothes".













I do not sew. I have never made a shirt in my life. I am reeeally really bad at math and geometry, no lie. I am not kidding you when I tell you that I have been at this since 8:05 tonight and I am just now writing this at 9:45. It is probably not as hard as my brain makes it.

I knew things would get a little more difficult when I started to turn corners or had to overlap...I was ready for that. LOL.

Pulling the handles off of the bags, cutting the bottoms off and then flattening out the sides (but leaving them double-strength) and taping them to the dog was not a problem at all. Easy.









Letting the bag sides go where they wanted to go and overlap wasn't that bad either...I was expecting that, too.

I even figured a way to attach the bottom edges to the middle ring on the tomato cage.












Another view of the overlapping parts.
















This message was on the underside of the bottom of the bag -- it cracked me up.

I used this piece to find where the collar would go...approximately.













I used the handles to mark all the way around his neck where the collar of his shirt will go.

















I made him a cardboard tie in two pieces. This took three tries. Unbelievable.














The hardest part for me was those stupid stupid horrible stupid triangles that are the front of the collar. I COULD NOT FIGURE THEM OUT. I was nearly in tears by the time I was done, I was so frustrated. I had to keep turning them over and over and over. Oh. My. Goodness. It is like there is a chip missing in my brain...the one that can do shapes and mirror images. I have trouble packing a suitcase, too...LOL.

And the thing that is still bothering me (a bit) is that this construction will all have to come off (except for the bags around the tomato cage) so that I can plaster cloth the tie parts and the collar parts...and then attach them to the shirt in layers.







I am fairly happy with what I accomplished tonight.

1. I am teaching myself to do this.
2. I do not sew.
3. Math and I do not get along.
4. I can do this. I will do this.
No one has a gun to my head. I choose to do this.









This is good for tonight. I need to think about this more. I also need to go and block out the distant voice in my ear that is saying "Heh, wait till you have to paint this thing."

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...