Thursday, December 1, 2011

365 Day 335

prepping paper for tomorrow

Man...I cannot throw out paper! These scraps were sheets of butcher block paper that I was using underneath watercolor paper I was coloring with alcohol inks for a series of collages last year. I laid down a bunch of butcher paper to protect the table and these were the outside edges. They were just so preeeeeeeeety I couldn't toss them out.

On Wednesday I used two small pieces on two of the Animal People collages (Big Cats)/ATCs I was working on. I really liked the way they came out and since I am now working on Animal People collages for Art-o-mat, I thought it wasn't that big of a stretch to base cover the Arto-blocks with the paper.


But instead of gluing all of those pieces of paper onto the blocks, I decided to use my Xyron machine to give them sticky backs...like stickers.

It will (hopefully) be less messy to work with at the Northville Art House tomorrow when I do another shift at the 7th Annual Holiday Art Market. During my first time there I covered the same blocks with a strip of tissue paper (so that the collage elements would adhere better). Now I am really glad that was done first because this thicker butcher paper will grab onto the tissue paper and be less likely to want to curl up or peel off. Plus my fingers won't get all glue-y from the glue sticks.



I cut the Xyron'd paper into strips for easy application.












And -- of course -- there were some larger scraps of the scraps that I couldn't toss out! They already have sticky stuff on the back now. No doubt these will find their way into other projects.











Here is how a few of the blocks have turned out so far. I really, really like them.














I even like the edges!



Perhaps I will be so busy answering questions and helping people with their raffle tickets and stuff that I won't be able to work on many...that would be waaaaay cool!

4 comments:

coastalcutie2000 said...

Congratulations for having what you wanted when you wanted it. AND for the vindication of knowing had you thrown them out, you wouldn't have had it!!! Heee, I can't throw out things either.

Took said...

LOL -- Thanks!

Dain said...

Hi Took- They look awesome- what a fantastic idea- and they are waaaayyy pretty!
I sent in my prototype to AIC...will let u know if I get in!
Really love the blocks! Did u use mdf?

Took said...

Thanks -- yep, they are the MDF blocks from Artists in Cellophane.

My friend Ruth was seeing creatures in the abstract colors and papers today in the ones I worked on at the Art House. I may have to re-think this...could be a new series!

What did you make for your prototype?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...