Wednesday, December 7, 2011

365 Day 341

workin' on the Studio Snake

The Studio Snake will be a sort of "sampler" for me of plaster cloth ideas and methods and embellishments and paint combinations, etc. I will keep adding pieces to it and eventually join them together and hang them from the ceiling in my studio.


Here is the Studio Snake's head before I made it bigger today.















I added aluminum foil and tried to even out the curves on the sides.















Then I covered the aluminum foil with masking tape.
















Then I added two plastic caps for eyes.

















I used two different sizes of plastic caps because I liked the way it looks.












I picked up three of the Trader Joe's paper bag handles and bundled them together for the mouth.











Then I taped the handles together to make them look thicker.












I put on the eyes first with thinner, smaller triangles of plaster cloth, then started to apply the plaster cloth to the head all the way around.

Next I had to put a layer of plaster cloth on the mouth and do it quickly and then add it to the face before it started to get too stiff. That is why there aren't more photos...LOL

Here I have the head holding down the other end of the mouth so I wouldn't lose the curved shape.








Anchoring the other side of the mouth and waiting for it to grab on so I can continue to move towards the middle of the mouth.












Awwww...he is so cute!

















Another view.













Yesterday I worked on three sections of the Studio Snake's "body".

With this one I wanted to see what the plaster cloth would look like if it wasn't laid down and smoothed out. I also wanted to see what it would look like if it was sort of draped like fabric...if it would hold it's shape.











This is a bunch of plastic caps put on with larger plaster cloth triangles. All of the caps are the same.

By doing this section I learned I needed to take the extra steps and use the thinner triangles to add the caps.












This section was to see how different sizes of plastic caps would work...and what it would take to keep them on because a couple of them overlapped the curve of the tube and had a gap underneath.

I decided I liked the large caps and that is why I used them for eyes on the head.










Here is the Studio Snake drying on the rack.

I really like it.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...