Thursday, January 5, 2012

2012/365 - Day 5

working on the cat-creature

I printed the photos out last night but I never actually got around to putting them in my sketchbook or coloring any...that would bring me just that much closer to having to paint.



Today I buckled down and Xyron'd the printed photos and stuck some in my sketchbook.

Honestly, I only did a few so far so that I wouldn't get too far ahead of myself just in case I hit on a color combination that I like...I didn't want to have like 5 prints of one photo when I only -- ha -- might need 2 or something.







I am really bad at/not confident with choosing colors. I cannot paint very well and I really hate it.

Colored pencils? Soooooooo many choices it makes me a little nuts. I had a couple of ideas to begin with so that is where I started from.












My first thought (since I have the color in good acrylic paint) is a sort of periwinkle for the cat-creature's face and hands and chartreuse for its eyes.

Second thought is a warm gray for the face and hands and yellow eyes.

Or maybe orange with olive eyes. But then what? Cripes, I hate this part. I really do.







I also had some repair work to do on the base of the cat-creature where the tail is not attached close to the body.

I forgot to take a "before" shot for this repair.

I am fairly confident the plaster cloth will hold and dry and then stay put...but I have never tried to repair something that was this far along already (two coats of gesso).












Another spot. The higher area on the right is actually just where the plaster cloth wasn't smoothed at the edge. There is no hole there but I filled it in anyway.




This lower area did have a hole where I missed filling in with plaster cloth.












The repair...fingers crossed it works.












The last repair area...a long "seam" of where the plaster cloth wasn't smoothed along the edge of a strip. I was going to leave it, hoping the gesso would fill it in...it almost did...but not enough for my liking.

Okay. Really. Tonight I am going to color in my sketchbook more.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...