Wednesday, January 4, 2012

2012/365 - Day 4 (plus update)

gesso day

Toda
y I am applying 2 coats of gesso to the cat-creature and the head and 4 body sections of the studio snake. The cat-creature is done is four sections...top and bottom, front and back.



I did the first coat(s) in the plain white gesso. I did the top half of the cat-creature and the top half of the studio snake's head and 3/4 all the way around on the body sections of the studio snake.

It is very bright white and hard on the eyes. It is also hard to see where I've already painted.











I have seen tinted gesso online but it is sort of expensive.

I decided today to try tinting my own small batches. I added a little bit of acrylic paint to the plain white gesso -- looks good!













Wow -- that is SO much better! And now I can see spots I've missed, too.



Now I need to hoist the cat-creature back up onto the table to gesso two coats on the base and also finish off the studio snake parts.










I shot the cat-creature from several different positions so that I could print out pages to practice color combinations, etc. in my sketchbook. That is what I will be doing for the rest of the evening because I still have no idea what I want to do with this guy -- except I do have one idea for the tail.

Hopefully I will take a break and work on the next five Animal People collages (for Art-o-mat) tonight.


UPDATE: Oh, wouldn't you just know it? I got around to the last part of the base of the cat-creature and there are two areas that need plaster cloth repair. Darn it.




This is a spot of the tail that attaches to the body on the front/side.















This is a whole edge of a section of plaster cloth that wasn't smoothed down all the way.

Oh well...at least I can repair them. I am glad I saw them now -- before I started the finish painting.

2 comments:

coastalcutie2000 said...

It is amazing how much the face has progressed on your cat!~ I think its clever for you to print the photos to use for color combos! If you don't mind I will use this idea for my own projects.

Hope the new year is treating you well, and that you are taking care of your hands. I have problems with mine, too, and know from experience just how painful they can get, and how impossible it is to cope when they hurt so much.

Took said...

Thanks for the comments!

Why would I mind if you do what I do regarding sketchbook/color combos practice? I can't draw very well, so I need to do it that way.

I have been paying more attention to the way my hands feel -- if I start to get achy (even if I am on a roll) I make myself stop for a while.

Today is a long day of dominant hand handwork...doing the gesso'ing and mixing...taking many breaks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...