Wednesday, January 4, 2012

2012/365 - Day 4 - Animal People collages part 2

working with magazines and catalogs

I wanted to say a few things about the images I use in the Animal People collages.

The majority of the images come from not-exactly-new magazines and catalogs. Some I get in the mail and they are new, some come from various office waiting rooms and have been handled quite a bit.

Some are several years old, some have thin paper pages, and some have heavier paper pages with very crisp, clean images.

Sometimes the images get folded in their storage drawers by accident...corners curl up. Sometimes a piece gets torn slightly but I like the image enough to still use it.

Sometimes there are printing imperfections and sometimes you can see each little dot of color, sometimes the images are crystal clear.

That used to bother me a lot but I have learned to relax more about it. I have always wanted my Art-o-mat customers to be happy with their purchase. I have made a lot of these collages over the span of several years but I have only had a handful of so-so comments regarding the quality of the piece. Most of the time the comments I hear are that the Animal People remind the new owner of a pet or a friend or relative or co-worker.

I guess I just want to say that I put a lot of time and work into each hand cut paper collage. I try very hard not to let any glaring mistakes slip by me. It takes a long time to match heads to bodies and get the proportions right and get some expression or personality to come through the unrelated images. I hope that people will be pleased with their new $5 piece of art.

Here are Animal People numbers six through ten (of fifty):
















































No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...