changing an old, old guy
This is one of the very first things I ever tried to make with the "magic" stretch knit gloves...I found him yesterday when I was sorting out a couple of yarn bins. He was made back in 2006 for a trading project in an online art group I belonged to. The project was called "Stuffies with a Secret".
Man...this guy is just barely together. I remember watching sewing videos to see how to make stitches. (You may recall that I do much better when I am shown things in person vs watching a video or trying to read and follow instructions and diagrams.)
This guy's "secret" was going to be that he had a pocket (or something) on his back for stashing notes or messages or tiny objects.
Today I decided to see if I could make him into something that was more appealing to me.
Here he is with some of the fabric I found yesterday in one of the bins.
I thought it would be fitting if I used one of the fabrics I found with him instead of a newer one. I decided to turn his yellow felt pocket thing into a sort of backpack.
I used the yellow one as a template and cut it larger for "seam" allowance. I finger creased the edges.
Now he has a starry backpack/pocket.
Twink watching the snow.
I gave him new arms. I was going to reuse the stuffing that was in his flattish old arms and then I changed my mind and just folded these glove fingers in on themselves...much in the way the spikes are made for the other guys.
Then I took off his face and then I removed his buttons. I had to open his head to work with the new buttons.
When I was closing his head I got the idea to give him horns and make the edges into ears. I added "hair" and now he is done!
Close up taken in the guest bathroom "photo studio" -- the light is really different in there, especially when it is snowing. Oh well -- you can see the details better here...the colors are more correct in the other shots.
I like him much better now.