Thursday, January 8, 2015

2015 | Day 8

Day Eight

Tonight was meant to be our January meeting of the Second Thursday group, but the weather just wasn't having it.  I would normally be blogging about what we did, but this left me with a big "what now?" 

I have been avoiding writing my artist statement for the group show I am in at Woods Gallery.  What can I say -- I just make stuff.  Period.  Writing an artist statement makes me very uncomfortable and I feel really pretentious.  Even just writing out a couple of sentences to describe the pieces in the show - sheesh - I just don't know.

I was playing around online for a while and poking at several artist statement generators.  They really crack me up.  Here is the "best" one/the one I found most amusing:

Took Gallagher is an artist who mainly works with mixed media. By creating situations and breaking the passivity of the spectator, Gallagher formalizes the coincidental and emphasizes the conscious process of composition that is behind the seemingly random works. The thought processes, which are supposedly private, highly subjective and unfiltered in their references to dream worlds, are frequently revealed as assemblages.

Her mixed media artworks feature coincidental, accidental and unexpected connections which make it possible to describe the idea of an imaginary reality. Combining unrelated aspects leads to surprising analogies. The possible seems true and the truth exists, but it has many faces, as Hanna Arendt cites from Franz Kafka.

Her works are based on inspiring situations: visions that reflect a sensation of indisputability and serene contemplation, combined with subtle details of odd or eccentric, humoristic elements. Took Gallagher currently lives and works in Northville.


Obviously I will not submit that but I might as well.  I will figure this out and send it off and be done with it...but it is really wearing me out. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...