First -- LOOK -- one of the smoke bushes that Andi put in for me a couple of years ago is actually smoking!!! First time!
So I wanted to work on an in-progress project that is of a larger scale. I will get back to the Tookies tomorrow and Saturday while I am at the Northville Art House...but today I wanted to work bigger.
I selected the repurposed canvas that has the horse-guy on it. And that new young-panda-ish-sort-of-guy in the background. My problem is that I can see a guy fully developed when I look at the collage but I don't know how to get him from my head to the canvas. Yeah, I want to leave him/them pretty much up to the viewer to see in their own way, but I need to get at least the main idea down.
So I took a deep breath and darkened in the new guy. I know it isn't much...but it is a big step for me. I worked on him more and gave his outfit more shape...and he also has a leg with a shoe now.
But the more I looked at the canvas the more the horse-guy was really beginning to creep me out. I think it was just too much of a difference between the sweetness of the little guy and the uncertain what the horse-guy guy was about-ness. So I decided that the main problem with the horse-guy collage was the horse-guy. He's gotta go. I did it with the llama/giraffe-girl before (and the little guy emerged in that area) so maybe I can cover up the horse-guy with various papers and new guys will come to the surface.
I took the collage out to the dining room table so I could see with the better lighting and spread out a bit. I told myself I was going to limit this to the torn up papers bag -- no new ripping of big sheets for this tonight!
|ready to start -- limiting myself to the "torn up papers bag"|
|I want to try to save that kind of fox-with-extremely-long-features-guy behind the horse-guy's ear|
|I am also being very careful not to cover up the new shoe|
|not too bad -- this is the first layer (and I managed to avoid covering up the fox and the shoe!)|
|a second layer over the more colorful areas and the areas that I can really see|
|I was trying not to use any polka dots this time but I had to -- they were there -- plus they may turn into something later -- I tried to just hold a piece of torn paper above the wet canvas and let go of it so it could drift down onto the surface|
|ooh -- some of the other papers with inclusions fell into/onto the polka dots and I really like it where they overlap and blend -- this is the "done with this for tonight"/very wet stage -- still laying flat on the table|
|upright photo of the very wet collage -- I wonder how it will look when it dries|
For me, this is the nerve wracking part of re-doing a collage -- but it is also kind of exciting. The collage will look quite different when all of that matte medium and those layers of paper dry.