Friday, April 6, 2012

2012/365 - Day 97

oh -- I have such lofty plans lately

 Yeah...the goat-creature is definitely my current main project, but there is no way it will be even close to partially done by the time that first deadline comes around.  There are so many basic structural problems and challenges with this guy, but I am determined to find ways to work with him.

I didn't quite know where to start tonight.  I finally thought maybe if I put a second tomato cage inside of the base it would strengthen I cut off the top four "legs" of this cage.

I picked the goat-creature up and lifted him onto the second tomato cage -- and it was pretty entertaining -- I thought I was going to knock off one of his horns when I hit the ceiling with him.  Right now he is still very lightweight but he is fairly tall.

This is how it looked inside with both cages.  Bottom line is I don't think it is going to help.  It didn't make any real change and that would be one more set of parts that don't touch the chicken wire in places.  Harumph.

So I decided to work on the outside of the base.  It is so flimsy-feeling compared to the cat-creature.  I don't even know what I did differently...I will have to go back through the blog and look at how I made her skirt.

This is where I am going to try to work on the goat-creature.  His head is supported by another tomato cage section -- it is one that I cut from the twirly sprinkler thing (ex)bear-creature.

The goat-creature is SO dry.  I couldn't get the plaster cloth to stay wet enough to adhere to the surface of the base.  I tried spritzing it with hot water but that just made my hand tired...the water kept absorbing as fast as I could spray.  I ended up going back to my old standby -- the Scott Rags.

Now that I think of it, this is probably how the cat-creature's base was toughened up.

I took a section of paper rags, soaked it in the water and then laid it across the d-r-y plaster cloth surface.  I didn't knock much water from the plaster cloth as I pulled it from the water bin.  It seemed to work fairly well.

It is hard to see in the photo, but this is a shot of the wet wet paper rag on top of a layer of plaster cloth that didn't want to get smoothed out because it wouldn't stay wet enough.  This is what I was laying more wet plaster cloth on top of.

It was about at this point when I had to give in and accept that the goat-creature is going to be a l-o-n-g time in the making and will not be ready for the first upcoming deadline.

It's okay.  I really like him a lot.  I want him to turn out well and I am willing to put the time in on him.

This is how the goat-creature looked after about an hour of work.  This is a small section of the base.  I wanted to stop at this point because #1 I was tired and #2 I need to see if all of this work is going to actually do anything.  LOL.

(Oh...I almost forgot to whine about how much I hate this new editing/posting thing.)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...