Sunday, September 25, 2011

365 Day 268

I've got my work cut out for me!

When I made the last batch of Tookies finger puppets for Art-o-mat I started to discover some times saving steps for myself. I am not much of a seamstress and this is about the extent of my sewing skills...LOL. Because there is usually a good deal of time between Tookies batches I often forget how I did something the time before or one of the prep steps. Today I decided to get ALL of the initial Tookies cut, sorted, counted, matched with buttons and labeled into envelopes because this is my most dreaded/difficult part of the process. Now that it is done I can just snatch up a handful of envelopes and work on the finger puppets in front of tv on and off throughout each day/night until they are done.



I always think I can do ten in one 24-hour period and have them completed in ten days if I make 100 instead of 50. Yeah, that hasn't worked yet...but maybe I can get closer with this batch.

I am also making a small batch for the Northville Art House Holiday Market...along with a few other items. I will donate a pair of Tookies to the raffle basket, too.


This season's new colors! The goofiest things get me happy and excited.

I did all of the cutting last night -- separating the hand into onesy and twosy seam guys and lopping off the wrists and pinky fingers.







This is the batch for Art-o-mat. I am actually kind of "cheating" because I pulled out ten completed Tookies that I considered putting into my Etsy store but I have been dragging my heels about. LOL -- now I don't have to write copy for them and list them. So I really have only 90 to make for this set of 100.






I put the sorted-into-colors fingers into envelopes.












Then I take out a batch and choose buttons for the eyes. I found last time that since this is my most dreaded step in the process -- choosing the colors -- if I can see them together I have less risk of making two the same...not that it matters to anyone but me.









And here is the initial batch for Northville Art House.


I chose October 12 for my delivery to the Art House date. This gives me a definite deadline.

The Tookies I make for the Art House will be slightly fancier than the Art-o-mat ones, and they will come without boxes. I need to get these made before I start on the Arto-batch.


Whew -- THREE HOURS LATER -- no kidding -- I really have my work cut out for me! But the hard part is done!

2 comments:

Armored Hearts said...

I love watching the process of your work. I was wondering if this helps you to become more organized. Not that I think you are not, but I'm trying to find ways to inspire myself. Taking cues from others I admire sometimes help. I can't wait to see more Tookies!

Took said...

Thanks, Frann!

I am generally a organization freak (except when it comes to house -- or studio -- cleaning...LOL).

One of the reasons I went back to the 365-blog was so that I could feel "accountable" to something. So, yeah...documenting everything helps me to stay on track and it also helps me to be able to go back and see how I did something the last time.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...