Geez -- what a long day. My sister and I were half-supposed to run a few errands but they were pushed over to Monday instead and that left me with several "extra" hours and I was determined not to squander them. Me being me, I ended up overcompensating and I worked pretty much straight through from around 11 to 11:45 with only a couple of short breaks.
Main Project -- really long horns guy.
I need to get this guy completed...one way or another...even if I end up not submitting him for anything.
|Before -- as he looked at the beginning of the day, ready for the next steps.|
|I have all of these little tester pots of paint that I would really like to use. I think the problem is having too many choices, and I simply couldn't settle on a main color.|
Another of today's projects: Grammy needs to be worked on and then finished.
|Grammy has a few structural problems...|
|This arms has a hairline fracture all the way around -- the other arm may also need attention.|
|Grammy's tail has to be reattached, too.|
|And really, she could use a couple more layers of plaster cloth on her dress...plus I am not sure her face is done. So that felt like waaaaay too much to do today.|
More projects/distractions that need attention:
|This really tall rabbit guy -- but I need some preliminary help from someone with tools...shelved (again).|
|The croc-guy and the tiger-guy -- both too much for today...shelved.|
|The goat-guy and the working dog...yeah, well...shelved.|
|The hatchling-guy...this is a doable project but too much for today...shelved.|
Another project (nearly finished but in avoidance mode): the bear-like guy with the long claws. Actually, this guy originally started out here and here as a sort of Universal Remonster. That was all the way back in early 2012. He progressed and at some point he got his long legs and base but I can't seem to locate those posts, and he makes it to here and then I got tired of looking for more.
|Really, all this guy needs is to have his base finished off and then have his face area tweaked a bit...and maybe some sort of varnish overall to protect the surfaces.|
|What I have been stalled about -- the decorative metal strip with raised half circles. Time to commit. Choose a color and get to work!|
|One of the tester pots of paint ("blueberry") looked pretty good...but it will need several coats.|
|After the first coat...now to dry.|
Another project: the robot-y guy.
|Again...too many choices...and I half-liked them all...|
|...same game pieces...|
|...or maybe these little wooden bowls...|
|...yeah...I like them...|
|...but hey...one could go on top of his head, too...but how to finish that off...|
|...with one of the sawed-off balls from his original hand/arm pieces...in the bowl...|
|...on top of the upside down bowl...|
|...oh, wait...how about stacked bowls for ears...hmmm...|
Robot-y guy project, stage two.
|Okay...add the stacked bowls as ears...oh man...he's not a robot after all...|
|...and cover up the robot face...he's a creature guy...|
|...maybe he needs a nose/muzzle...|
|...eh...nope...hey, this thing snaps right off...|
|...turned around with the old back being the new front...now he looks (in person) like he has more like "gonna get you" hands rather than "maybe I could fly" hands...|
|...and of course he needed a little tail (that had to be really really reinforced and solid)...now he is ready to dry for a while.|
Back to the bear-like creature: committing to a finish for the metal strip on the base.
|[Gasp] -- I actually found the original paper scraps and I think they will cover that metal strip much better than paint.|
|Done...but very wet with matte medium...I hope it dries well.|
|It dried great! I am very happy with the base now...it will definitely need some sort of protective varnish, though.|
|Next up (but not today) tweak his face and claws and add the varnish and he's done!|
Back to the really long horns guy.
|Gah...choosing a color...too many paint choices/hate painting the main body...maybe cover him with paper that I have in abundance...but what color, dammit? Too red...|
|...I like this pale purple/pink that has gold inclusions...but no, it will make me think of plain skin...like his hair fell off and only pink skin remains...|
|...I have a lot of this paper...and I could paint on top of it for decorative stuff...|
|...just GO for it...tiny pieces...it takes forever to cover areas well...I was almost upside down in my chair to work on the underneath parts...|
|...this was a good break point...finished applying paper in tiny pieces all the way around up to his neck.|
|Back to work after cooking and eating dinner...I started around the eyes...|
|...and then filled in small sections...|
|Too bad this photo doesn't show how I was seeing his face...he looked like he really trusted me...LOL|
|Ta-daaaa -- the three guys together.|