Sunday, October 5, 2014

Day 278 - 365/2014

Day Two Hundred Seventy-Eight

Well...that was a learning experience.  I half-started working on my bowling pin without a firm (or even semi-firm) idea of what I wanted to do.  I tried sketching on the paper cut outs and it just wasn't helping so I decided to just take the plunge and get the "feel" of the shape of the pin.  Several hours  -- and several plaster cloth sessions -- later I pretty much ended up back at square one...but at least I have a better understanding of what I need to do now.


I had to make a few larger paper cut outs...the littler ones were too little.  No matter, I needed more actual hands-on time with the pin.
Step one -- tape it.
Done...and getting a sort of a "feel" for the shape and heft of the pin.
I am trying really hard to not grab the camera while I have plaster cloth-y hands/gloves, so there are no step by steps photos of this stage. But this is what I had after the first plaster cloth session...feeling my way.  Not horrible I guess, but I don't really care for it.
Leann's husband Mark passed these way cool colored glass radio parts on to me a while back...I was thinking I might be able to use them for this guy.
Dunno...I will give them a try...oh, and this is session number two.
This is the alarming end of session number two -- yikes!  Time to pull all of that stuff off.
Beginning of session three -- I was able to pull it all off down to the pin.  Now to repair the simple first layer and think some more.
A little later...thinking I better try to make a form to plaster cloth over...I seem to work better that way.
Geez -- not for lack of trying!  I know now what I need to do, anyway.
I found a way to suspend the pin so that the bottom can dry out.  Enough for today!
After all of that experimenting I found out what I will need to do so that I can work more like me.  The head is going to need to be made like a helmet of sorts, and be placed over the top of the pin...not be built off of the surface of the pin.  I may end up painting the face part on the "flat" surface, but the head needs to be constructed first. 

Okay...that is quite enough for tonight...my hands are killing me...not from the plaster cloth but from trying to squeeze aluminum foil into hard shapes...gah. At least I got through the first try -- and found that for me to be happy with this guy I need to not make an elongated face down the front of the pin.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...