Friday, September 19, 2014

Day 262 - 365/2014

Day Two Hundred Sixty-Two

A couple of really neat things happened today.

First -- yesterday on the way to my doctor appointment I passed what looked like a garage sale with a whole lot of mannequins in the yard.  I had plans already to help my sister so I couldn't stop after my appointment, either.  Ah well...maybe it wasn't a sale...maybe they were just cleaning their garage or moving or something...no garage sale sign out.  I figured (after much fretting all day) that if they were still there the next day (today) I might still be able to get one.

So today I met up with Sue again and it turned out (out of the blue) that she could actually spare a little time to go with me to see if what I saw was a garage sale...cool!!!  So we got over to the house and there was no garage sale...but...I could still see a few mannequins near the garage and much trash out for pick up (as if it HAD been a sale) so I got up my nerve and pulled in the driveway and rang the doorbell.  The guy was very nice and told me that yes, it had been a sort of a garage sale (they do this mannequin thing every year at this time) for one day.  He made a few calls to find the person in charge of the mannequins and -- YES!!! -- they did still have a couple left!  

And it turned out that one of the ones was the standing male one that I had originally seen from the road -- yay!  Plus there was a seated female available.  And -- oh my goodness -- they were a little under what I had expected to pay for them!  I took them both.  The guy loaded them into my car for me (they just barely fit) -- oh -- the male mannequin comes with a stand, too!

The mannequins in my car...the male came with a pair of really cruddy jeans...ick!
LOL -- this is how they ended up after the car trip...they bounced around a bit.
The standing male with base.
The seated female...no hands.
Yeh...my neighbors must really love me right about now.

Then I came in to look at my email and oh man -- remember that incredibly wonderful chair in the chair auction fundraiser for the Northville Art House?  The one I figured there was no way I was going to win?  I got an email telling me I had won!!!  I got straight back into the car and went over to the NAH and paid for the chair but it was still at the Northville Winery and Brewing Company...so I sped over there lickety split and picked it up and brought it home.  Man!

I do not have the words to adequately express how much I love this piece of art.  It is so exquisitely crafted and perfectly balanced.  I adore the way the one leg is poised as if it is taking a step.  




The chair is titled "Walking Chair" and is by artist Paul Rochon.  This is the photo used at the NAH's website (and in our local newspaper).


Now the trick of it will be to get the cats used to it being another piece of furniture.  They are pretty good about the 3D art in the house, but they do tend to run crazy every so often and chase each other while launching themselves from counter tops, tables, and their cat towers.  This chair is tall enough not to be a go-to cat perch and it is very steady, but I need to ease it into their awareness so that they don't care about it so much.

Bootsy checking out the new object.
Chime Cat moved over to give up the corner space for now...two dining chairs stand guard.
Now it's Twink's turn...
Yep, that IS pretty tall!



So far, so good...tomorrow I will put one of the dining chairs back and see if they leave it alone.  I eventually want the Walking Chair to be in the den (I think).



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...