Sunday, September 7, 2014

Day 250 - 365/2014

Day Two Hundred Fifty

Today I worked on two collages.  It was slow going and I don't have much to show for the time I put into it, but there you go.

I wanted to try to bring out the detail I was seeing in the face of the giraffe-guy's companion.  If you are standing close to the collage, you can see it pretty clearly.  If you are farther away it is just dark.  I don't know what else to do because I really like the way it doesn't take too much attention away from the giraffe-guy.  This is the first time I have tried working with the dark areas instead of making a solid line...I don't shade well and I didn't want to lose the face I was seeing.  I like how it has turned out so far.  I like his hand now, too.  I found that I had a dark blue fine tip permanent marker and I used that instead of black for the most part.

Overall -- "before".
The companion --  "before"
It is hard to see it in the photo, but it is the long nose area and mouth at the edge of the nose...sort of looks raccoon-ish here.
The companion overall - "after".
I like his hand a lot, too.

The other collage I worked on is the one I turned upside down and tried to salvage with a very basic shape yesterday.  I tried to make him look a little fluffier.  Then I left it to dry.

Next I went back to the giraffe-guy.  I want him to be done, but he isn't.  I tweaked his eye just a teensy bit and I found a brown pen to give him an outline.

All I did was outline his eye.
I am not sure I can do anything to show his thick eyelashes...I will probably leave them (rather than mess them up).
The collage overall -- "after".
Testing the collage for "done-ness" in the wacky frame that came with the original painting from the estate sale.  I just don't know.

Then I went back to the black monster guy.  I cut out paper for his teeth and eyes and played with placement of the eyes and number of teeth.  I am still half-considering giving him a set of pointy teeth on each edge (but probably not).  I am always so surprised by how different a guy looks just by moving the placement of his eyes.  I finally committed to the spots I wanted and put on the initial shapes.  Then I went back and put a second coat of paint on.  Then I went back in and did a little bit of shaping the edges.  Then I went back with black and straightened out some of the teeth...but not too much...a monster would probably not go to the orthodontist.

These are a couple of examples of the look I am going for with the collage monster.  I make variations on this guy a lot.
Paper eyes and teeth...testing eye placement and number of teeth.
He looks so much younger with the eyes here.
And so different with the eyes here.
I think a compromise is good...wide set eyes and not too low.
This is how he ended up once I committed to actually applying paint.  This is the first thin coat.
After tweaking the shapes and coverage.  I have a few ideas for this guy...I wonder how long it will be before I get back to it.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...