Saturday, April 27, 2013

365/2013 - Day 117

fresh sleepytime cd

When I go to bed (in actual bed) for the night I turn on a compilation cd of soothing (to me) sleepytime songs.  The cd player shuts itself off after the cd plays one time through -- which is a good thing -- because I generally don't make it past the first half of the cd before I drop off to sleep.  If it goes much past that it is time for me to get back up for a while.

ANYway...every few months or so the songs get a little too predictable (and I can't trust that the shuffle will shut off) so I need to make a new cd.  Tonight I have been working on putting together a new playlist and it has been surprisingly difficult to come up with just the right order for the songs.  I also added a few new songs.  I think I finally got it right.  

I always limit myself to 20 songs.  In order for the songs to be soothing to me the have to have at least one of these qualities: 
  • somehow repetitive 
  • relatively quiet/soft/low toned vocal  
  • fairly even levels (no saxophone/wild guitar/jarring piano solos)
  • vocals rather than instrumentals  (unless the original song is already an instrumental piece -- there are some really cool lullabye-ized versions of songs that I really really like but I have found that I tend to fill in the original vocal in my head and that keeps me awake.)
Here is what I ended up with:


  1. 3 Libras -- A Perfect Circle
  2. Rain in Venice -- Steve Harley
  3. Moonlight Serenade -- Carly Simon
  4. Wicked Little Town (Hedwig Version) -- Hedwig and the Angry Inch Soundtrack
  5. One Time -- King Crimson
  6. Two Grey Rooms -- Joni Mitchell
  7. Temporary -- Rogue Wave
  8. Kangaroo Lake -- Ian Moore
  9. Pink Moon -- Nick Drake
  10. The Coast of Amalfi -- Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel
  11. Just Not Just -- The Guggenheim Grotto
  12. Into My Arms -- Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
  13. 29 Palms -- Robert Plant
  14. Across the Universe -- The Beatles
  15. Wichita Lineman -- Glen Campbell
  16. A Stranger -- A Perfect Circle
  17. Northern Sky -- Nick Drake
  18. Fountain of Youth -- Grant-Lee Phillips
  19. The Consul at Sunset -- Jack Bruce
  20. Don't Dream it's Over -- Crowded House






No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...