Tuesday, November 29, 2011

365 Day 333

wow -- I can't believe that worked!

This guy started out as a Happy Hour cookies tin and an Atomic Fireball candy container. You can catch up with the original post here. I am beginning to consider these episodes as collaborations with some unseen artistic entity/force/(fill in the blank) because I certainly don't feel fully in charge of these ideas and would never come up with them on my own. Another example.


So I decided that while I was waiting to be shown what this guy is supposed to be, I would at least put the first layer of plaster cloth on him.

I knew I wanted to leave a part of the Happy Hour exposed.












As I was finishing up, another one of "those" episodes happened.

The horns/antlers piece from the other day is still not totally dry yet, but I had to attach it somehow. It came to me that I needed to move pretty quickly because the plaster cloth I had just applied to the creature was hardening and going to become brittle.

I tried masking tape. Horns/antlers were too heavy and wouldn't stick to the damp plaster cloth. I tried making a sort of sling with a long folded over strip of aluminum foil...the horns/antlers wouldn't balance.

Then it hit me...if I could put a hole in the side of the "head", maybe it would anchor the new appendage.

I drew an outline around the horns/antlers and tried to think of how to pierce the head. My drill would send it flying. The Dremel tool wasn't handy and I couldn't think what accessory to use with it.

I had just found my utility knife again that morning (funny how this stuff happens lately) and I figured if I could make a hole I could work it out...I just needed to make the hole, dammit.

So I actually grabbed a screwdriver first and pressed and twisted until I was through -- hoping against hope I would not crack off the plaster cloth. It worked! Then I used the utility knife and made "pie slices" in the Atomic Fireball plastic. Thank goodness the blade didn't slip. I crammed the first horns/antlers in and because of the tightness of the little slices of plastic and the angle of entry, it stayed in...amazing! I worked quickly and with my left hand I held the horns/antlers in place and with my right hand I worked the plaster cloth into the water, dragged it along the side of the water container to knock off the excess water and then applied and smoothed it to the area to hold the horns/antlers. I couldn't believe it was balancing and staying in...the plaster cloth was drying enough to secure it in place so I could repeat the process on the opposite side.





holding the head with my left hand









On the second one I had to be even more careful because the Atomic Fireball container was moving in and out with every push of the screwdriver and utility knife...and the plaster cloth was more brittle because it was just that little bit drier. I'm telling you -- I know how this sounds -- but it was like it wasn't totally me doing the work. It's not like I was possessed or anything, I knew what I was doing, I could see myself doing it -- but it was so not "me"...you know? Kinda trance-y but not...and the spur of the moment problem solving...yeah...who IS this???





look -- you can hardly tell where the hole was and where the horns/antlers begin













truly unbelievable to me that this worked

















back view


I know the horns/antlers really ought to be on the top of the creature's head and the ears should go where the horns/antlers are...but when I tried to place them there they got too tangled up...this was the only configuration that worked...and I cannot believe it balances on its own.









another view
















close up of exposed Happy Hour wording













Well...this guy is sitting quietly for now. I wonder what will come next.

I wonder what he will turn out to look like.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...