Saturday, July 5, 2014

Day 186 - 365/2014

Day One Hundred Eighty-Six

Today I have been working on the Woodly project.  I needed to sand each of the pieces of wood again and then I wanted to try some colored stain on at least one piece to see if that is the way I want to go with this guy.  I had the stain already (a tube of black and a tube of blue) -- I have had them for a long time and I didn't know if they'd still be any good.  


I re-sanded seven pieces of wood with the electric sander.
The two smaller pieces (for the ears) were just too small to risk with the electric sander and had to be done by hand.  I needed a pretty long break after all of the sanding...my hands took a beating.
One of the tubes of colored stain that I already had on hand...the packaging promises "wood finishing made easy".
I planned on wearing gloves anyway, but the instructions/warnings urged you to wear gloves -- good thing I did -- that stain is kind of thick and it takes quite a bit of pressure to get it to come out of the odd little hole in the cap...next time I will squirt it into a dish and work from that...LOL.
So here are my results with the piece of wood that will be the base for Woodly...not too bad for a first try with a new to me material.
I think I will need to go back and touch up a lot of spaces.
Some of the deeper parts didn't stain this time.
More of the imperfections that didn't get stained.
Also this saw mark on both edges didn't get completely stained.
I can't decide just yet whether I like it or not...I don't not like it.  It is somewhat easier than painting and you can see the wood grain through the color, which is what I wanted.  It also didn't pull up the grain and make me have to sand again...I am thinking if I use watered down acrylic paint that is what will happen...it will pull the grain because it will be wetter.  I don't know.  I think I want to go and get some paste was by Minwax and see how just waxing the wood looks.  I may also decide to just paint it and put a design on it.  I don't know.  I am just happy that this piece still feels smooth to the touch (for now).

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...