Whenever I would daydream of having my own solo show I usually pictured it at The Village Theater on Cherry Hill in Canton. I really love that venue. And a few weeks ago my dream actually came true -- I was offered my first ever solo show -- AND -- it will be at the Village Theater!
This opportunity arrived totally out of the blue and I did not have a whole lot of completed work on hand but I didn't want to turn down this incredible offer. I am scrambling to get enough work finished for my deadline of November 30. I have a few pieces that are complete and ready to show. I have several others that are also show-ready but that are coming from my collection and will not be for sale. I have a few other pieces that will be on loan from the new owners of those works. I know I can pull this together in time and I will.
I have made lists of tasks and I am trying to accomplish as many as possible in the order I listed them. I have a LOT to do including photographing the work, coming up with the postcard design, and writing an artist statement. I also need to give everything a title and price, and deliver an inventory sheet on the drop off date. I've gotten through a couple of lists so far but in order to keep me on a tight schedule I decided to start the blog again so that I have something I feel I need to account to each night. I won't be showing completed pieces in their entirety but I may consider showing detail shots later on (just so I can look back at the blog to see where I was).
Okay -- today I have been working on prepping the plaster cloth cat girl. I reworked her face a short while ago and gave her taxidermy eyes. I have thought of a new back story for her and I want to make her into a storyteller. Her new outfit will reflect this.
Throughout today (and tonight) I have been applying tissue paper in preparation for her new surface decoration. While I reworked her I got a lot of plaster cloth drips and splashes on her and I tried washing it off but it makes her just too wet. Instead I have gone back to the tissue paper method that has worked for me in the past. A layer or two of tissue paper smooths out the imperfections a bit and makes a decent surface to either paint or add decorative papers to. I had originally hoped to be done with this by tonight but I found it took much longer than I had expected. Physically I just cannot do anymore tonight. Below are photos from today.
|This is a shot of those too busy body boys of mine...just after being shooed away from the tissue bags.|
|Bootsy stares down the cat girl.|
|This was the point where I took my first break...SO many pieces of paper!|
|Session two got me about this far...on just the back.|
|Session three got me around the front side and down to her waist all the way around.|