Sunday, January 18, 2009
How to describe this? It will be convoluted no matter how I go about it...so here goes.
1. I collect phrases. Notebooks upon notebooks full of quotations, lines from lyrics, tv commercials, movies...you get the idea.
2. I enjoy (very much) the idea of being invisible...in all its connotations. I especially enjoy it when someone thinks they are -- or professes to be -- invisible when they actually aren’t. (And yes, I am easily entertained!) And while we’re at it, let’s stick hallucinations in here as well...being entertained by them (now), living through them...whatever.
3. A few years ago I became enamored of Werner Herzog. (I could listen to him talk all day...I love his accent and phrasing!)
4. Thank goodness for Netfilx -- and easy access to so many films I either missed or was never aware of.
5. I can never get over how one single image can look so different by simply angling it slightly.
6. I am fascinated by the notion of idioglossia and telepathy.
Still with me?
This weekend I watched a combo DVD of three short films by Werner Herzog. The third of the films was (as described by Netfilix) "Precautions Against Fanatics" ... a comic, faux-documentary look at the world of horse racing.
Throughout this short film, the phrase (and variations of it) “you see me” is repeated...it cracked me up. Nevermind that I probably don’t get the jokes or meanings of the film, it just cracked me up. I loved it on my terms.
So...there you have the litany of reference(s) for what the twin monkey doctors are thinking.
Believe me...there is rarely this much "meaning" in my collages. This one may not work as well as others visually, but it makes sense to me!
Thank You, Mr. H and Dr. J! Hello, Devon!