Tonight is the Opening Reception for Come Play With Me -- a juried exhibit of dolls, toys and games by Michigan artists -- at Paint Creek Center for the Arts in Rochester, MI.
I am so excited I can hardly stand it -- the waiting/anticipation is excruciatingly fun.
I swiped the info below directly from PCCA, because they say it best:
"Works in this show include a variety of hand sewn dolls and soft toys; a selection of toys made from old books; ceramic dolls and robots; a set of bottle cap figures; a beautifully crafted hand-cranked flip book toy; the King Kong Panic Playset; a refrigerator magnet set complete with refrigerator door; a collection of marble games and puzzles; wooden animal pull toys; paper doll sets; an elaborate marble game construction that may be played alone or with multiple players; masks and a headdress made from found objects and small toys; a visual game based on fictional Tall Tales about the origins of Detroit landmarks; a Grey Gardens board game; a pair of simple but challenging flash video games; surrealist games made up of objects and small parts that hold their own absurd logic; and the lovely Chime Cat Visits Cloud City, a musical pull toy featuring an oversized cat on a wheeled cart. Participating artists range from veteran artists familiar to many in the Detroit area, to newcomers exhibiting their work for the first time. We’re excited to see the sheer variety of approaches to the theme, and the excellent craftsmanship that went into all these beautiful toys."
Here is the list of participating artists -- I cannot be-lieve I am in such extraordinary company!
(I have included a link to the artist's website/Etsy shop where available)
- Madeleine Barkey -- Ferndale, MI
- Jeanne Bieri -- Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
- Loralei Byatt -- Detroit, MI
- Sandra Cardew -- Royal Oak, MI
- Renee Dooley -- Detroit, MI
- Took Gallagher -- Northville, MI
- Marcia Hovland -- Royal Oak, MI
- Amy Kelly -- Hamtramck, MI
- Andrew Krieger -- Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
- Andy Malone -- Royal Oak, MI
- Michael McGillis -- Royal Oak, MI
- Joey Merchant -- Ferndale, MI
- Ryan Molloy -- Ann Arbor, MI
- Juana Moore -- Ferndale, MI
- Scott Northrup -- Dearborn, MI
- Jaclyn Novak -- Canton, MI
- Catherine Peet -- Royal Oak, MI
- Teresa Petersen -- Detroit, MI
- Gina Scolellaro -- Amherstberg, Ontario
- Mike Sivak -- Ann Arbor, MI
- Doug Spalding -- Royal Oak, MI
- Starr Williams -- Berkley, MI
"As part of this exhibit, we’ve scheduled a Saturday afternoon Play Date for Saturday, April 30th from 1:00 – 4:00 pm. Come on in and play with the toys the artists have created. Children accompanied by their parents are welcome to participate. We’ll also have some materials and ideas on hand for kids to make their own toys and games."
I will do my best to take as many photos as possible tonight!
Update: here is a LINK to the photos I took.