Thursday, June 24, 2010

A journey into papier mache

This is "Round 2" of my first attempt at making something out of papier mache. I have wanted to make something large for a very long time. I'm not sure why...I just need to.

"Round 1" consisted of me trying to follow photographs from a book. It was helpful, but I am not very adept at making three dimensional things AND I am not at all good at reading diagrams or photographs and having my hands/brain follow through. I need to be shown "in person". (I tossed out the limbs of the monster I was making, but I will be able to use the other spare parts for this project.)


Luckily, I found the videos that the author of the book put on his blog! This helped quite a bit. I have a better understanding now of how much to compact/compress the newspaper into balls, how to put two or more together to make a larger piece/different shape, etc. Hopefully he will continue his videos and complete all the steps! (This is pretty much my first journey into papier mache...we never got to do this in grade school or high school.)

This head was made before I found the videos, though. But now I "get" what went wrong. I think I will be able to work around my errors and complete the head/trophy following the rest of the book.

This is going to be some sort of mixed beast. A combination croc/ruminant/equine/something.

The eyes will be set far back to the left of the photo examples...probably near that blue circle. (Or not.) We'll have to see how it develops...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...