Monday, June 28, 2010

More teef work

For the last few days I have been tearing sheets, wrapping teef with glue-soaked cloth strips, washing my hands, checking my work against the photos in the book I am following, getting frustrated because of the amount of figuring-it-out-myself-ness there is and finally adding my own ideas. Whew.

This part of the process makes the jaw really wet and it made me nervous the first day that the thing was going to loose its basic shape. But it seems to be drying okay.

The upper jaw was done first. I am hoping that new layers of wet cloth will stick to this stuff when it is dry and hard. It is drying with little air pockets where you have to make a crease/fold to get smooth edges next to the teeth.













So today when I was working on the lower jaw, at the end I added on flat strips to try and hold the creases down. It seems to be mostly working, but parts are still popping up a bit.































I should have put the larger inside sheets and also covered and placed the tongue but I had to leave the house. I guess I will do that late
r tonight. I think it will be okay because the inside and tongue need to be done at the same time so they stick together.


I am not all gung-ho dead set on making an army of creatures using this guy's methods. But I will probably use some of the stuff I am learning when I make my "real" project. All in all I am fairly pleased with my progress so far, considering I haven't done papier mache before. We'll have to see how the rest goes.





4 comments:

coastalcutie2000 said...

Hello,
Can I offer you a suggestion about a really great paper mache blog? This woman is a whiz at the subject! Maybe you can get some inspiration there...
Your Fan
Ann Thompson
http://ultimatepapermache.com/

Took said...

Thanks, Ann -- I just took a quick look around and subscribed to the blog! LOTS of info there.

coastalcutie2000 said...

My pleasure! We artists gotta stick together.
Can't wait to see your finished beast.
Ann

William Hessian said...

wow! i love those teeth. wicked.

that is a great project. i cant wait to see it finished.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...