Monday, July 5, 2010

Pre-painting the insides of the jaws & tongue -- part one


If you know me in real life, you know how much I dislike painting and trying to choose colors.

Painting, blending, choosing colors is not my strong suit. WHY do I choose/want/need to do these projects that require me to paint?!? LOL. I love color but I really really struggle with selecting what goes with what, etc. I get distracted/dazzled by the colors...and I overthink it.

This step has you paint a dark color on the top of the tongue and then randomly overall. Then while the paint is still wet, you add a lighter color and blend (but not too much) as you go along, then add a third color (or not...but it needed a third color, believe me). After the paint is thoroughly dry, you do a "blackwash" (vs whitewash) with watered down black paint and wipe it off before it dries. So right now I am waiting for paint to dry.

It is kind of hard to tell, but I started with red, added white (making various shades of pink) and later as an afterthought I added in yellow to the insides to make the tongue stand out more and seem more red. In person you can see it better...it is sort of orangey with glimpses of pink and yellow.

I think I may have made the layers too thick because the paint is crackling as it dries. I wonder if it has anything to do with painting on top of glue/cloth? Most likely it is the thickness of the layers.
Hopefully the blackwash will hide that. (And somehow -- miraculously -- by the time I get ready to paint the outside, perhaps I will get more of a grip on painting techniques.)

OH -- and allegedly the paint is supposed to peel off of the Fimo teeth when you are all done. Let's hope so.





No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...