Monday, July 12, 2010

Ears, eyes and nostrils -- part one (updated)

I don't want to say that I have totally fallen out of love with this project but I am not as enthused as I was in the beginning.

Hopefully, it will start taking more shape and I will like it again. Or maybe I will figure out how to give it more shape by the time I am ready to cloth mache the outside.


Right now it's looking like a hippohorsecroc.

I have several projects going at once -- which is a good thing because a couple of them need drying time in between steps. But on the other hand it is a kinda not so good thing because I like the other projects more. I think it may be because I just tried out another way of doing this sort of project with a mostly different technique and materials and I think I like that way much better...so far.
I will finish this guy, it just might take a little longer. And who knows...perhaps by working on the other projects and learning more about the other material/technique I might be able to bring some of that back over to this project. Because in the grand scheme of things making this guy was to teach myself the basics of papier mache so that I can make REALLY big things. I have to keep reminding myself that this is my first attempt and it is only one way of approaching mache.

UPDATE:  The book I was using at the time of this original post was "Papier-Mache Monsters: Turn Trickets and Trash Into Magnificent Monstrosities" by Dan Reeder.  You can follow either link to find more about his fabulous work.    (Took, 3/31/14)

4 comments:

! said...

i think it is looking really great! esp. for being your first attempt at papier mache. what are you using for the mache? is it for a particular project?

Took said...

I have a "real" project in mind that I have wanted/needed to do for a long time and I need to learn basics...that is why I am making this guy.

The building steps of this technique are flour+water with large newspaper pieces (not thin strips) and newspaper "balls". Then you move onto glue with cloth (old sheets) in various sizes.

Thanks for the kind comment!

! said...

you might try to use liquid starch - it is less messy than the flour/water mix. still sticky, just not as messy. i have used this several times & it works great. i will post a picture of a papier mache dragon i made for Chinese New Year on my blog.

DanMonsterMan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...