Tuesday, December 3, 2013

365/2013 - Day 336

starting another hand sewn doll

Today I have been working on another hand sewn doll that I want to donate to the Holly Dolly Fundraiser for Paint Creek Center for the Arts.  Juana and Franciney both made two dolls so I decided I needed to make two as well.

I had a hand sewn doll that I purchased at a craft fair several years ago...today I disassembled it and I am repurposing the arms, legs and body for the base of my new doll.  I don't know if it is going to work out -- and once again I am not sure what it will be until it is done.  I just hope I can get something together that I like enough to donate.

It took me forEVER to choose the fabric to go with the arms/legs.  I narrowed it down to these three choices.  Sue was over today and gave me her opinions, too.


This was my favorite combination.
I also liked this, with the brown on the outside.
AND this, with the brown on the inside and the "wrong" side, the lighter colors, showing.  Sue couldn't decide between the last two...but in the end she thought that the checkered fabric would look better with embellishments/decorations.


Then I needed to figure out face parts and how I wanted to attach them.  I decided to make the face onto the fabric before sewing it onto the body because there is no way I would be able to sew a shape to fit the shape of the batting-covered former body and then stuff the whole thing inside it.  I put new batting over the old body because it was leaking fiberfill from where I removed the arms and legs...and I wanted to feel like I had a hand in altering the shape of the old body.  I am going to try to sew the fabric onto the body and make adjustments as it goes on.  Adding the legs and arms will cover some of the seams and I intend to add other elements that will also help.

Again, when choosing the button combinations for the eyes -- it took me several hours -- I am not kidding.  I don't know if it was too many choices...trying to get it "right"...or what -- but it honestly took me two whole hours.





Here are the other pictures along the way.  I hope this guy turns out!


The arms looked a lot like slightly smaller versions of the legs, originally.  I scrunched the top of the arm over itself and stitched it tightly to give me a smaller, rounder top part to work with.  I will be adding long fingers to the hands.  I'm not sure of the feet yet.
It is hard to see it, but there are four colors of floss in the eyelashes.
Hey -- look how even I got the stitches on the mouth.
Man that looks goofy.
So far I have the top and bottom tacked together to smooth everything out.  I think I am done for tonight.

I will get back to work on this in the morning.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...