Monday, July 7, 2014

Day 188 - 365/2014

Day One Hundred Eighty-Eight

Oh boy...this was Committing-to-a-Face Day for Woodly/Woodlee...my submission for "If You Build It, They Will Come" at Detroit Artists Market.  I know you painters (who know me in person) get quite a chuckle from this, but it is really nerve wracking for me (a very non-painter) to finally get down to actually painting.  I end up holding my breath a lot and making tiny strokes, but eventually the paint gets applied...and I begin to calm down and quit shaking and breathe.


I scanned the piece of wood that is Woodly's head so that I could practice drawing faces.
The scan is lighter than the wood...after many, many attempts at making adjustments to the scan and then the printer settings, I gave up and just went with this one.
I wanted to use the knots in the wood pattern to be Woodly's eyes...after several different versions, this is the face I came up with -- now the HARD part -- the gut wrenching, nerve wracking, breath holding part...painting the wood.
Whew -- after close to an hour I did it -- I think it turned out pretty close...it is free handed, too.
I really am pleased with how the black stain showed the wood grain of the body...I love those stripes!
Setting his head on his body with his ears in the cat position.
He is shaping up -- and yeah, I think he is a cat kinda guy.

I am pretty happy with the way things are shaping up with Woodlee/Woodly.  I still need help with the drilling/drill press/sawing, but I have plotted out where things will go and how to do it.  It will all be finished by the deadline.

I am still considering a simple pattern for him...maybe not...maybe the wood grain is enough...but oh yeah...the tail -- he still needs a tail.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...