Sunday, May 5, 2013

365/2013 - Day 125

and yow -- my hands are still vibrating

Earlier today I spent a lot of time looking at glass taxidermy eyes.  I chose two kinds of bobcat eyes, cheetah, wolf, African lion, wildebeest, carousel horse, mountain lion, tiger, leopard, and crocodile...and these are much nicer looking croc eyes than last time.  I get my glass eyes at Van Dyke Taxidermy Supplies.  One of these days I am going to order a life-size form and work plaster cloth over it.  Man -- I would LOVE to get something really big like a kangaroo or bear...they even have a rhinoceros...can you imagine???

samples...(just because they are a specific animal does NOT mean I will be making that animal)


carousel horse

wildebeest



 










bobcat

crocodile













Tonight was shelf sanding time...I put it off all day and now it was time to get to work.  I probably should have done them in shifts, but I knew I wouldn't come back and finish them if I did...I really didn't want to sand...I never do.  Luckily I found a brand new pack of sanding pads for my Mouse sander when I went shopping in my studio.  That little sander really works well for small jobs.

This is the pine that I bought at Northville Lumber yesterday and had cut into lengths.  One shelf is 45" and nine shelves are 15" -- they are all out of 1"x4" planks.  I wanted 3 1/2" deep shelves and the man at the lumber desk said that was great because one-by-fours are actually 3 1/2 inches,  not 4 inches.  I imagine they aren't 1" thick either.  Whatever...they are lightweight, inexpensive and they fit my purpose.


before
after







No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...